On the fourth Sunday in July 1878, with prayers and blessings, twelve persons and a minister left the First Baptist Church of Midlothian, Virginia to organize a new worship community on the western end of Chesterfield County. The charter members—Peter Brown, Peter Brooks, Maurice Bray, Robert Owen, George H. Robinson, Maria Turner, Annie Woodson, Lucy Brown, Edmund Robinson, Martha Winston, Emma Robinson, and Page Turner—were responding to the need for a church closer to their homes in rural Chesterfield County. Some members would walk four to five miles barefoot and then put their shoes on immediately before entering the sanctuary.
The first house of worship was a log cabin made with slabs and it was called the “Slab Town Meeting House.” The first church was built a few feet from the structure located at 11900 Genito Road, Midlothian, VA.
Traditionally, people joined the church during revival in June and were baptized in July. They were baptized in a creek near Brown Grove Baptist Church in Midlothian, VA. Church records from the late 1800’s reflect that the church had regular meetings, kept accurate financial records and conducted professional and orderly meetings. The church began to have weekly services in the mid 1950’s. This change was instrumental in the spiritual and numerical growth of the church.
A total of fifteen pastors have served SCBC since its inauguration. The first pastor was Rev. Edward H. Beverly. He was followed by Rev. T. Byrd, Rev. Tribbie, Rev. I.R. Clark, Rev. Joseph Brown (the only pastor to serve two tenures), Rev. W.H. Jennings, Rev. M.W. Rainey, Rev. Howard Jones, Rev. Clifton Whitaker, Sr. Rev. David Winters, Rev. Warren Atkins, Rev. Lawrence Wilson, Rev. William Bassett, and Rev. Dr. Jerome O. Lee—who was the first full time pastor. Over the years, 21 ministers have been licensed at Spring Creek, and three ordained.
In June 2001, God blessed our church family and we were honored to call Rev. Dr. Jacqueline E. and Rev. Dr. Micah L. Madison-McCreary to serve together as our 15th pastor. The church made history in calling a husband and wife ministerial team to serve as our spiritual leaders. Under their leadership, the church redefined its Mission Statement and established a variety of Christian Education and discipleship opportunities to foster love, healing and spiritual growth within the congregation and to reach out to our local and global communities.
In June 2011, the church purchased a new facility located at 5130 Woolridge Road, Moseley, Virginia. On August 28, 2011, the first worship service was held in our current site. It was a time of great rejoicing and thanksgiving.
We were blessed with the gifts of our pastors for 16 years and in August of 2017, Pastor Micah answered his call to serve as the President of New Brunswick Theological Seminary in New Jersey. Rev. Robert L. Dortch led us through the transition and served as the Interim Pastor for a year. And on March 3, 2019, we welcomed our new pastor, Rev. Dr. Kenneth D. Cooper and Lady Cooper to our community
Walking in love and healing, we continue to seek God’s wisdom and guidance as we strive to fulfill our mission statement, which is,“to love all souls, to look for the unsaved and lead them to Christian salvation. To live with one another in Christian fellowship, harmony and community. To labor with one another, in knowledge unto Christian maturity. And to live in the presence of God!